I'm Colin. I'm working on something new in web3.
I used to be an engineering manager & senior SWE at Google, from 2017 - 2022. I managed the Communications Abuse team, responsible for protecting billions of users across numerous Google products.
In 2015, I spent some time working at Coinbase. I helped launch Coinbase in Canada, and I improved their anti-abuse infrastructure.
I've also built a handful of side-projects. I've built a flight-deal-finding Facebook messenger chatbot that found millions of dollars worth of flight deals (micro-acquired in 2017); a minimal uptime monitoring platform (micro-acquired in 2020); and a location-based livestreaming app (acquisition offer in 2015).
My interests include privacy, cryptocurrency, anti-abuse, good UX, and coffee. ☕️
Previous work & education
- Engineering Manager at Google, Communications Abuse Sep 2017 - March 2022
- Internship at Google, Search Jan - Apr 2016 and Sep - Dec 2016
- Intern then part-time SWE at Coinbase, Payments May - Aug 2015 and Sep - Dec 2015
- Internship at Blackberry, Devices Sep - Dec 2014
- BASc. Honours Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo Sep 2012 - Jun 2017
Startups & projects
And many more that failed.
- BoltScale - better uptime monitoring & status pages Apr - Sep 2020, micro-acquired
BoltFare - AI powered flight-deal-finding Facebook chatbot Oct 2016 - Aug 2017, micro-acquired
- Over $1m in flight deals found from 10k+ users
- YepLive - mobile livestreaming app Mar 2015 - Jun 2015, acquisition offer
- Thousands of users across iOS, Android and web
- Side projects & startups
- Google (notable press covering projects that me or my team was directly involved in)
Awards & Recognition
- 'Top Cryptocurrency Hack' at HackMIT in 2014, ultimately leading to an internship at Coinbase
- Highest performance evaluation - Outstanding - at 5 internships during my undergrad
- Top 13% in all users on StackOverflow in 2014